GMC Trade Secrets
I have a basement that was under water 6-8 inches for nearly 2 months. Many molds and fungus mushrooms grew. I had a great deal of stuff stored down there. Some fabrics, wood and metal thins had to be thrown out. I had a sprained ankle and wrist so I could only do a small portion. When the water table went down it dried. Now is the old dried mold and mildew still a problem? Healthwise? How do I clean up now? What do I have to throw? much of my shelving is wood and I have wooden pallets that have now dried but I still have boxes and rubbermaid containers on them. I also have an old oil tank in one corner and a washer that is now shot I think. Any advice? I can't afford any help, or it has to be very cheap. Thanks cutie. I wish you were my brother!
use combination of bleach and powder soup so that it won't smell so strong.
Bleach is a great tool against mold.
I would suggest donot ignore it rather hire soem professional to get rid of these horrible molds. They can soemtimes be hazardous to health. If you can keepit clean regularly you can always use bleaching powder to keep these away.
hired people to do does job if you cant do it
The mold growing in your basement can be potentially dangerous for you and your family. If you are set on cleaning the mold yourself you need to take proper precautions. The professionals would be going in there covered from head to toe with respirators on to ensure that they do not breathe in the harmful spores.
Make sure that you are completely covered..mold can cause skin irritations, breathing complications, headaches, and more. Cleaning with the wrong solutions will only make the problem reoccur in a month or so.
Honestly, you should not tackle this on your own. There are too many health risks associated with water damage and mold removal . Most household ingredients are NOT going to get rid of the mold in your basement including bleach.
You need air circulating through your basement. Add extra fans, open any windows that you can. Throw an air purifier/ filter in there to collect the disobedient mold spores. ....be careful. Don't spend too much time down there and take A LOT of breaks to get fresh air. A bottle of Lysol might do you some good as well, the alcohol helps the moisture to evaporate, it disinfects... and it smells nice =)
Most of your possessions are going to be ruined, there is not too much you can do about this. I am sorry. Anything made of fabric or porous materials will be unable to clean. Anything metal will be ruined from the water damage. Yupperware containers are definitely the best answer. If it is very important to you..try to fit it into an above ground closet or attic.
as far as the washer, depending if everything in the inside is dry maybe take off the back and place a fan on the components, allowing them to dry for a few days, try it after say 3 days of the fan blowing on it. If it is dry it may weel work. I would take bleach to everything you can wood plastic concrete, even if you were to put it in a pump sprayer say dilute it 50/50 with water and spray the area liberally, that should kill the mold spores. Wash everything that fits in the D/W with a lot of D/W detergent. D/W detergent has chlorine in it, so it should almost sanitize everything. Wear a mask, I would get a real painter's mask one that has the filters on it so u won't get any bad spores or fumes from the bleach in your lungs. As far as the oil tank I would if it looks OK keep it if it has old oil maybe try to recover it if it's bad or just try to use it otherwise, it should be OK, remove the old pallets just because, they will become a fire hazard or attract bugs which you don't want anyway. the shelving should do OK with bleach spray and wipe. Be very careful as well using goggles & the air mask when you mix the bleach and water. Taking your time is probably the best way to do this, then figure out why you had 6-8 inches of standing water and fix that problem either with a sump pump or something. Good Luck
Other people asked questions on various topics, and are still waiting for answer. Would be great if you can take a sec and answer them