Originated From

Do I pay child support even if my child no longer lives with her parents?

My daughter dropped out of high school and was in and out of jail. I still paid child support to her mother even though my daughter was not living with her. Was I obligated to pay the money to my ex-wife?

Liked this question? Tell your friends about it

2 Answers

Order by
Oldest to Newest
Newest to Oldest

I don't think so, because child support goes to help support the child not the mother and if she was no longer living with the mother or in jail. You can go back to court and the mother should have to pay you back. if you can prove that she didn't live with her. Sounds like she would have been better off living with you.

You are obligated to pay child support until you have the court ordered amended. You could likely do so if your child is no longer living with the custodial parent, but if you simply stop paying on your own you could be found in contempt of court.

Related Questions

Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:

Asked: CIN number for child support

How do I find my CIN number for child support

Asked: Child support final judgement in correct can it be ...

My child support was based on 21% for a child in a previous retaliation ship and 21% for a child from a later relation ship. There is 9 years difference in age of the children. The 4th circuit ruled a ...

Asked: Ohio/disabled and receive SSDI & child support. Is ...

Ohio/disabled and receive SSDI & child support. Is child support considered income for EBT purposes?

Be The First To Answer

Other people asked questions on various topics, and are still waiting for answer. Would be great if you can take a sec and answer them

Ask a Question... We'll forward it to people who know

More Questions

How can i pay for parking

The same way you pay for anything else.

Does a man have to pay child support on a child that is not his

No I don't think a man should pay chil support on a child that is not his because he known that the child was not his in the begining and he shouldn't have to pay anything..

I heard from a friend that if the non-custodial ...

i don't know why it would be true. his first obligation and responsibility is to the child. whether he sees the child or not. i guess if he could get away with it everyone else should too. i think that is ridiculous.

I live in NJ, my daughter is 23 years old. Just ...

Get real you still paying for a kid that is 23? Anything you give your child after 18 is a gift not support. Seems like you have a dumb lawyer but that is okay if you still think your wife is able to collect support from you for a child over 18. Sorry if I were you i'd get a new lawyer....and a new ...