Originated From

Out-of-state Rental Property. How to file state taxes?

I have two questions: 1. I live in PA, but bought a duplex rental in NY. I have reviewed the PA and NY state tax instructions, but am still confused. I showed a loss on the rental property for my federal return. For NY, I need to complete a IT-203 form, or do I? All I show for NY is the income on the rent, but since I had a loss, do I show that? For PA, do I include the rental on the PA form including all the other costs (taxes, repairs,etc) on the PA form? 2. I lived in PA for the entire year of 2008. My wife was a part-time resident and didn't move to PA until August 2008. Do we file separate returns? Thanks Bob

Liked this question? Tell your friends about it


These are fun!  You will file the  IT-203 to show the loss.  If your wife was a part year NY resident, her info will need to be reported also.  You will include the rental on your PA return, but PA doesn't recognize losses for tax purposes.  You will file jointly, and if you owe any taxes to NY, you will fill out a Schedule G (I think) on the PA return to figure out if there is a credit for taxes paid to other states.  You might want to consider having a professional prepare this return to coordinate the states, particulary since your wife was a part year-resident.


Eva Norris, EA (NY state)

Related Questions

Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:

Asked: What does a tax preparer do

what does a tax preparer do

Asked: How To Report A Tax Cheat?

Every year, you save your receipts, track your expenses and - when April comes around - pay your taxes. But what if you know of someone who isn't as honest as you are? Someone who skims on their ...

Asked: Ohio Earned Income Tax Credit

ohio earned income tax credit - history What year did it start in Ohio?

Ask a Question... We'll forward it to people who know

More Questions

Does anyone know of reasonable rental properties jackson tennessee where

There are not many buyers out there, and the buyers that do exist are looking for commercial property foreclosures and short sales. We call them "vultural buyers". So, if someone wants to buy, they want to get a "deal", and there's no better deal than a heavily discounted piece of commercial ...

Filing property tax grievance

Are you in Suffolk or Nassau County? You can file for a property tax grievance online at GrieveOurTaxes.com. Hurry though, the deadline is fast approaching!

How To Report A Tax Cheat?

http://aolanswers.com/questions/cheat-poker-win-entertainment-music_350801351389884#answer186132211731125 hope i can help you

In search of a Bangsar property. Can you help?

For wide listings of Bangsar property , I suggest you browse through the Property Guru portal..I've recently finalised a good deal for a house that was listed on the portal..!