Originated From
AOL Search

Obtain car title of deceased family member to sell?? Do I have to probate before sale?

My father passed away with a will. Part of his estate includes a car but I cannot find the title. How do I legally obtain the title now so the car may be sold. Do I have to wait to probate the will before I may get a title and sell the car?

Liked this question? Tell your friends about it

3 Answers

Order by
Oldest to Newest
Newest to Oldest

Yes.  The Probate Court must officially declare who the administrator (executor) of the Estate is.  If it is you, you will receive a Letter of Administration, which will allow you to obtain a copy of the title. (Note: If the car was financed but paid off, you may need to obtain a copy of the lien release from the financer before you can sell it)

We, recently, went through this.  It can be a real pain-in-the-butt.Yell 

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Will I need a Letter of Testamentary to obtain a duplicate of the missing title?

A Letter of Testamentary suggests that your father established a trust before his passing.  If this is so, the named trustee could probably obtain the title using the Letter you speak of.

However, there may be an advantage in using the afore-mentioned Letter of Administration from a Probate Court.  As a bloodline heir, you may not have to pay taxes to transfer the title into your name.  As a trustee, you may be liable.

I don't want to give you bad advice; I'm not an attorney and the rules are different from state to state.  You really should discuss it with a lawyer.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Related Questions

Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:

Asked: Who is entitled to a copy of his father's will in ...

Louisiana law of wills and probate

Asked: Probate

How do you find out if a will has gone through probate in the state of ma?

Asked: Probate wills

what happens if you don't probate a will

Ask a Question... We'll forward it to people who know

More Questions

I want to Sell my old Car

Contact Bigcashcar to sell your old car and get cash for cars . Visit www.bigcashcar.com or call them on toll free no. 866-816-2126.

Probate Do I have to file a probate for my husband ...

You might need to file in probate court to get title transferred to your name for the house. The vehicles, if registered in both names, you can probably go to the DMV with a death certificate; but if they are only in his name, you might need probate. But depending on your state, there may be a ...

Help selling a car

Hello Melissa, You can contact Bigcashcar for the concern. They purchase old, used and damaged car and you can earn fast cash for cars . You may contact them by visiting website www.bigcashcar.com or call them on toll free 8668162126.