Originated From
AOL Search

How to file a small claim if you live in another state than the defendant

Liked this question? Tell your friends about it

6 Answers

Order by
Oldest to Newest
Newest to Oldest

Hi Erica.  Contact the Clerk of Courts for your area and he/she should be able to give you the information you need to proceed.

"Be strong in nature; Gentle in deed."

In which state did the problem, infraction, etc. occur ?

THAT WHICH DOESN'T KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER. Bull. Reality is, it will usually hurt like hell and leave you with a permanent limp.

well i loaned a friend money, the friend lives in illinois and i live in idaho

If this is a small claims court issue (not to exceed 7,500) call the courthouse in the county where the person lives and they will instruct you as to procedure. I've recently done this and I was amazed at how well this works. With proof (I'm hoping you have a signed agreement with a cancelled check) a juggement will be issued against the defendant requiring payment and if not, the court can authorize the Sheriff to seize and sell property to satisfy the debt.

"I've heard you're a low down yankee liar!"

well I have text messages where he states that he is going to pay me back...also I have the receipts from moneygram where I sent him the money as a loan...do you think that is good enough proof


Erika, use whatever you have to help make your case. I'm guessing you will not be dealing with any kind of defense attorney so do you think your friend would contest the fact that you loaned the money?

I'm not sure but it's possible you may have to travel to the court you filed the claim with when the court date is issued. For me it was only 25 miles but would the travel, if necessary, be difficult for you?

"I've heard you're a low down yankee liar!"

Related Questions

Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:

Asked: With property damages can i file for punitive ...

with property damages can i file for punitive damages in small claim court

Asked: Help! What are the chances of florida coming to ...

My boyfriend is sitting in jail here in nyc while awaiting extradition to florida ... He served 7yrs in okeechobee florida prison and was released may 2012 ... He made fdle and county sheriff office ...

Asked: Patrick Mutual Burial Benefit Association ...

Patrick Mutual Burial Benefit Association, Incorporated need to file a claim with company named or company handling this account now

More Questions

How to recover files overwritten file?

You may try this data recovery. I used to use it to recover my lost data after my system re-installed. It works pretty well, you may give it a try. http://www.recoverdatamac.com/data-recovery.html Hope this help!

Winning in small claims court due to defendant no show

Yes, the can file an order to show cause and have the case put back on the calander. They have to show what the reason was that they were unable to make the original scheduled court date. You can usually postpone 2 - 3 times in most cases twice depending on circumstances

Can I file a lien in lew of wages owed?

First, I doubt that you are owed wages. If it were wages, certain government agencies may assist you in recovering them. If not wages, you would have to get a judgement, payment on which it may or may not be collectible. However, the lien from the judgement would adversely affect her credit ...

Small claim lawyers in dc The small claims office ...

sounds like you have a chance of winning, but if the person already gave you a bad check, what are your chances of getting paid even if you win? Just filing the claim costs money and if they force you to get representation that will cost even more. However this person shouldn't get away with what ...