How much money is there in the world? (in US dollars)

Liked this question? Tell your friends about it

38 Answers

Order by
Oldest to Newest
Newest to Oldest

There is no simple answer to your question. The most common measure of the money in an economy is gross product, in this case gross world product.

Gross world product means the sum of the value of all the
goods and services produced in the world, including investments. The CIA ( says that gross world product in 2000 was an estimated $43.6 trillion in U.S. dollars.

For an explanation of gross domestic product, the
country-level equivelant of gross world product, see

Most of that $43.6 trillion is not cash. Economists can estimate the amount of cash -- currency, checking accounts and traveler's checks with a statistic called the M1 money supply. Adding money in money market funds, savings accounts and small CDs gives us the M2 money supply. See

I was unable to find a world figure for money supply; most economists are interested in how much its changing rather than the total number of trillions of dollars. The U.S. M1 money supply was $1.182 trillion in May 2002 (see and
the M2 money supply $5.543 trillion

I think it is a hard question to answer since there is a huge amount of black capital/undeclared capital in the world.

What is paper compared to gold:

In 2006, all the gold in all the world is valued at about $3.5 trillion (wiki).

About 529 dollars! give or take few cents.

Wisdom begins in wonder

the anwser is there is more money than there really is money.  People lend, and accept as payment, money that is loaned that never really existed in the first place except as a number on a screen.   Due to this fact and various others there is no real anwser to that question.  Also the way interest works there could be debts that could total more that the actual money in the world anyways.

The amount of money is not fixed.  The amount changes every single day thanks to interest payments and the fractional reserve system.

Banks in the U.S. are only required to have about 10% of their deposits on hand at any particular time.  The other 90% is loaned out, which becomes "money" for someone else (seller of a house, car dealer, etc).  Then, that bank loans out 90% of that money, and the cycle continues...

Therefore, banks create money all the time.  Most other economies are based on this fractional reserve system as well. 

What's the bottom line?

Gustur, you forgot the 00000000000000000000000

how much does  a  Gold bar cost ?

Laughing Does that include what you presently have on your person and somewhere else in your home? If so I have no idea nor does anyone else since most if not all of us seldom if ever tell the truth about how much money they have.

Its never too late to ask.

Related Questions

Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:

Asked: How must is a score in money

how must is a score in money

Asked: How much money to take to Malawi?

how much money to take to Malawi?

Asked: What if a contractor has been paid in full and in ...

What if a contractor has been paid in full and in 3 months wants paid more money without producing any billings or invoices. Do I owe him this money?

Ask a Question... We'll forward it to people who know

More Questions

What % of retired people are worth over a million dollars?

I found a survey with 17% of retirees have savings and investments of $250,000 or more, not including the value of their primary residence, or value of pensions. 18% of retirees are very confident that they have enough savings to live comfortably in retirement. Those are probably the ones with a ...

Should I try to make money off of my dollars?

remember the famous code in finance : never put all your eggs in one basket?

Ever Left a Dollar on a Restaraunt Wall?

No, I left a neck tie on a restaurant wall, they get cut off if you come in with it on and you don't know about it, they just snip it off, then you realise why all the ties are on the wall.

Do plumbers get paid 200,000 dollars per year?

Possibly a plumber with his own business could get $100 per hour, $200,000 per year. Or possibly a union plumber with overtime. But it is not likely. Even in high cost areas, an average plumber in San Jose makes $80,000 on average. I found an article that said that journeymen plumbers in New ...