Originated From
ArticleAlley

There seem to be a little mold in our basement ...

There seem to be a little mold in our basement. There has been so much precipitation this Winter and Spring that it is definitely winning the battle on my house. Is there a way that you can do the mold test yourself or should it be only done by professionals? I am just wondering just because it is a very small site.

Liked this question? Tell your friends about it

2 Answers

Order by
Oldest to Newest
Newest to Oldest
Votes

I've lived in my house for 28 years almost to the day, and fight mold.  I have to keep my basement really clean--which means power scrubbing the floor once a year and sometimes washing walls.  What about the wood joists?  Oh, that's lots of fun standing down there spraying them with peroxide.  I have to do it when it's not TOO damp down there, but still seems to work better when the mold is active, which means when it's at least a little damp.  I got some stuff at Sam's club that came with a sprayer in a 1 gallon jug.  The name of it is Odo Ban.  It's herbal.  You might want to research it--I think it did a great job at INHIBITING further mold growth, but I don't think it was really effective at killing much of it.  I would spray full strength, the house would smell pretty strong for 2 or 3 days, but as long as the residual odor of Odo Ban was present, the mold didn't seem to increase. 

 You heard that a nuisance may become a major problems. Same here. simple mold may creates a problem in your basement. Not single can do this but a army of that may create problems.

As per my opinion you need to contact with the basement experts to check out the basement. Matrix basement is best for that.

Related Questions

Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:

Asked: Ceramic mold of a moonshine jug

Ceramic mold of a moonshine jug

Asked: I need a recipe for making molded ornaments from ...

I need a recipe for making molded ornaments from white linen paper pulp

Asked: Mold removal

hgtv How can I remove mold from a leather chair?

Ask a Question... We'll forward it to people who know

More Questions

How do you distinguish the poisonous black molds?

The National Institute of Health and CDC folks at an Orlando Mold Conference said that there is no such thing as "killer" or poisonous molds per se. They look awful, make the air smell bad and generally can cause allergies among people around them all the time. The Fungus Among Us" Powerpoint ...

What is the compartment in basement floor near ...

you say the house was built in the 40's then it may have not originally been oil but coal the compartment may in fact be a coal bin. they were usually located near the heating unit and at the time the coal funace was located near the now oil burner if you look around the basement probably near the ...

Inherited a home with a potential mold problem

Immensely - why not get it professionally evaluated and, if possible, corrected?

Is it a mold (white) on top of mulch dangerous ...

Typically molds are only dangerous in large amounts if they are growing on mulch. However, there are various types of mold that can be toxic. If you can smell it, it may need to be professionally remediated and removed.