Do I have to leave my home just because my husband says he wants a divorce?

My husband is making it so hard to stay in my home. What are my rights as his wife. He is the only one on the mortgage but we are married and have been together for 4 years.  He has very vague reasons for wanting the divorce and is being very emotionally abusive to me. What can I do?

Liked this question? Tell your friends about it

12 Answers

Order by
Oldest to Newest
Newest to Oldest

It sounds like maybe it would be a good idea to talk to a lawyer about your legal rights.  Regardless of your husband's reasons, it is clear that he doesn't want to be married anymore, meaning that you deserve better, to be in a better situation, and out of this marriage. Tell your husband fine, and start doing divorce papers.  Maybe it would be a good idea for you to stay with family or friends for a while, to get away from this very unhealthy and uncomfortable situation. 

You have brains in your head, feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose. -Dr. Seuss

Hi. Yes it's hell I know. I moved, to another city, took my 3 kids out of school and just left one day. We have been seperated for almost 2 years now. We've been married 16 years this past October. I get no help whatsoever. I would also like to know the answer to this, also does it make a difference who divorces who first? In my husband's previous divorce, his wife of 4 years did not get anything because he made the most money to pay the mortgage. She only got child support.  Talk to someone first , legal aid in your town, and the college of law students can also help. Good Luck.

Depending on where you live, you have rights to half of everything you and your husband obtained while married to each other.  Don't leave your home.  It could be considered abandonment on your part.  Get a good lawyer and know your rights.

myself and my husband  are having difficuties life is becoming unbearable  sharing the same home he said if i dont like it to leave the property that is shared ownership i have two children live outside the hull aera havent be sussesful with the council cant get private rent as i am only working eleven hours he has made it clear that he will not leave the home

My first question is how did he end up being the only one on the mortgage ?????   Laws vary from state to state , go see a lawyer and find out .  If their are children involved this also changes things in the eyes of the law .   He can be as vague as he wants but the law is the law .

S.N.O.T.S. Snotsworth's fair lady snots'quus .... Wild & free protect the mustang !........ Bear down chicago bears!!......Hail purdue go boilers !..... Want a sure thing for your money . Lay it down to a thoroughbred rescue . Bet on life after racing !

He just never put me on the mortgage when I moved in but I don't think that matters when we are married.  I never thought we would be divorced but he decided that he wanted one and that was that.  He was hostile in a way that made me know things would escalate if I didn't leave.

"I'm a wait a minute person in a hurry up world" My own quote.

Escalate how , as he been physically abusive with you or your children if you have them .   You need to go see an attorney immediately and find out where you stand on the house .  Do you have family in the area , are they aware that your husband wants a divorce and as threaten you .   What is his reason for wanting a divorce , is there another woman involved in this , that he is trying to get you out and her in .

S.N.O.T.S. Snotsworth's fair lady snots'quus .... Wild & free protect the mustang !........ Bear down chicago bears!!......Hail purdue go boilers !..... Want a sure thing for your money . Lay it down to a thoroughbred rescue . Bet on life after racing !

A divorce in California don't need any reasons why a divorce needs to be granted. You can divorce your spouse if they have smell feet or burps too loud. All community assests are divided. As for the mortgage, well, if he paid it out of his income than the house belongs to him but in this day and age its now being divided into halves no matter who paid. It happened to my sister. They had to sell the home and she got her half and her ex got his share. You can still live in the home. Unless you're abusive towards him than he has the rights to protect himself and request by a court judge for you to be removed. Or, the law enforcement can step in if a  restraining order is present or being filed. He cannot kick you out. He has to have final court documents from the courts stating what he can do about the home. If on these court documents it has your name as not being able to stay than yes, you would have to leave within the time period it states on the court papers. You can stay out of his way until court papers tells you to leave. Basically, he cannot divorce the assests until you agree to the terms. Be cautious. Read every fine print. Make sure you get your share of the financial portion of the court documents. If you have an Attorney they can explain more in detail for you. I hope this helped.

Related Questions

Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:

Asked: How many years to contest a divorce Is there a ...

how many years to contest a divorce Is there a limit to how long it can be contested? Could it literally go on forever, or never be granted?

Asked: Divorce uncomplicated

i need a divorce, my husband has been cheating on me for 6 years and i am on disability and cannot pay the mortgage or bills. i want to move on with my life and him to move out. i cannot work. he ...

Asked: My daughter is divorced. When her sons were ...

My daughter is divorced. When her sons were about 12 the ex made them say they wanted to live with him and there was nothing she could do about it. They are now like Steppford kids, and the courts ...

Ask a Question... We'll forward it to people who know

More Questions

Debra Crawford Annis represented me as my divorce ...

This is Debra Crawford Annis -- The attorney being attacked in this question. I invoke the self-defense exception to the attorney client privilege. I have answered previous defamatory publication as follows: This is obviously a personal attack. These statements are lies and half truths. In ...

Pecan leaves safe for tea

Pecan leaves are totally safe for tea.

How to divorce a gold digger and leave her penniless

In the hard way !. File for a divorce. Hire a good attorney that will make sure you'll get what you ligally deserve. He/she will also guide you with what to do and what not to do.......

How can i find out if my husband filed for divorce

Ask him. If you are separated he can announce it in the newspaper, set a date and if you are not there, he is divorced. My neighbor did this to her husband. She moved to Chicago, took out an add in the paper announcing the date for the hearing, in a newspaper in his town, he missed it and they ...