Can a Father lose his visitation rights, just because he is incarcerated?

Can a father's visitation rights be taken away because he is in jail?  My nephew has been incarcerated for Robbery for 8 years of a 12 yr sentence.  For the past two years he has been a trusty. My sister has been taking his daughter (GP) to visit him for the past 4 years.  The mother screwed up and lost GP to CPS a year ago and my sister (GP'S grandmother) retrieved her from foster care and has guardianship of her now.  The mother is 'disabled' (she is not...she is a welfare mom with 5 kids only 3 of which live with her) and lives off welfare. She is totally incapable of caring for kids (slob, lazy, etc) but she still gets her visitation, at set times.  CPS has now told my sister that she can't take GP to see her dad anymore, period.  The courts are going to award her joint custody with deadbeat Mama, and my sister will be the Custodial Parent. 

Can they take my nephews visitation away??  Doesn't a child have a right to see their Dad if they want to?  How can they take that away from an 8 yr old?

Liked this question? Tell your friends about it

3 Answers

Order by
Oldest to Newest
Newest to Oldest

It is possible for a father to lose his parental rights during incarceration, especially if he is not behaving well in jail. I'd suggest contacting an attorney who is well-versed in custody matters to see what you/your sister can do to make sure your nephew does not lose his right to see his daughter while he's incarcerated, as well as what can be done regarding the 'deadbeat mother'. You can find a qualified lawyer through the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers' website. Good luck.

If you want to make peace you don't talk to your friends, you talk to your enemies. - Moshe Dayan

my daughters father is incarcerated for murder and is threatening me and telling me when and if he comes home he will take my daughter from me..can i take away all of his parental rights?

I agree as well that you should see or consult with a child custody lawyer . it is a delicate subject and laws change periodically.

A great experience is to catch a cheap international flight , explore, learn a culture, a language and you can even get some easy speaking tips instantly with a portable travel language translator in your pocket

Related Questions

Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:

Asked: What happens when one spouse goes to court to ...

what happens when one spouse goes to court to change what they agreed on at the beginning of child custody what will be my next step? do i go to court fill out a form to stop it?

Asked: Child Molesters

Child molesters, as with all sexual deviates, are a severe and intolerable matter of public safety. once a person becomes severely deviated from healthy sexual relations in a monogamous-heterosexual ...

Asked: California custody

what impact does a psychological evaluation results have on custody decision from judge?

Ask a Question... We'll forward it to people who know

More Questions

A 16 year old son does not want to see his father ...

We can't force the kid to see his Dad, he's traumatized I assume.

Unethical / Illegal Actions by Mineral Rights Leasing Companies

Ask any corrupt Islamic oil sheik how they got their oil wealth. They can't take it with them. ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::snicker:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Pays child support but doesnt get to see his son.

Fathers (and their children) have rights everywhere. If there are existing court Orders, your boyfriend needs to read them to see what was ordered as regards child support, custody and visitation. If he is not sure what the Orders mean, he should seek legal advice. If there are no existing Orders ...

What are my rights against a malicious neighbor when my Landlord refused

You have to tell us just how the neighbor is malicious. Does he pound on the wall? Does he do this only when you practice your tuba?