If your place of work is found to have an excessive amount of mold in the building and they continue having you work there in that environment, what legal actions can be taken? Would it have to cause a medical problem for any action to be taken?
They should be doing some kind of mold abatement treatment. But it really depends on what kind of mold it is. No mold is good, but some kinds are terrifically toxic.
I would contact the Health Department. Why should any employee wait until someone becomes ill in the workplace before action is taken. If the employer knows that there is a mold problem, excessive or not, and they chose to ignore the it, then I would consult a legal representative.
First, it would be advisable that a report or complaint be filed about the mold situation in your workplace to either your boss, employer or even the HR. If the molds in your office produce mycotoxins, high levels of exposure can lead to neurological problems and in some cases death. Prolonged exposure, e.g. daily workplace exposure, may be particularly harmful.
If your office refuses to take action, you can report it to your local Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OHSA).
Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:
Other people asked questions on various topics, and are still waiting for answer. Would be great if you can take a sec and answer them