Originated From

Liked this question? Tell your friends about it

4 Answers

Order by
Oldest to Newest
Newest to Oldest

Call the Department of Motor Vehicles of the state from which you want a license and ask them. Be sure you don't mention your name. All you may have to do is to start from the beginning and take a driving test. To be honest since your license was revoked it might be better for the citizens of the state that you don't drive at all.

Michael,  my late husband had his license perm revoked from NC.  We happened to move to California...As of a couple of yrs ago they do not cross records with all states.



I got your reply to a question I posted regarding suspended license in Florida. I  have a DUI case pending now. It'd be my 3rd if ends up being a DUI conviction. The case will not likely be  settled until after the  new  year but I  started doing some research. I learned about the DLC driver license compact and the NRVC. As you mentioned in your reply, there are a few states that do not belong to either. I intend to look into them as possibilities. I found a lawyer in Colorado who can assist you with obtaining a Colorado driver license. You have to have not driven for a year from the date the suspension started. Florida DUI laws are draconian. Colorado will give you a hardship license after a year, and  a full license after 5 years on a 3rd or 4th DUI. Florida holds you hostage for 10  years on a 3rd DUI and revokes you for life on a 4th.  With a Colorado licennse  you are good  in 49  states, just not in Florida which suits me  fine as I have no ties to Florida. Here is an excerpt on the subject from the ABA:

State A suspended/revoked my driver's license, but I have a valid license in State B. Can I drive in State A?

Consult your lawyer if you find yourself in this situation. Under the law of some states, a valid driver's license from another jurisdiction does not enable you to drive on the highways of a state that has cancelled, suspended, or revoked your license. However, other states have held that a license properly issued by a foreign state under the Driver's License Compact ends the suspension or revocation of a motorist's original license.
American Bar Association Family Legal Guide
Copyright © 2004 American Bar Association

I don't know if  this  would also  hold true for a license from a foreign country with international driving staus. I imagine having an American license from another  state holds more validity.


Here is a lawyers website who  can  assist in obtaining a license in Colorado.




I will contact other DUI attorneys in states not party to the DLC or NRVC to find out if they too might have a similar capability.


Keep in touch and  let me know what you find out. I'll do the same.


Good Luck,


Doug M.




After 4 DUIs I certainly hope you do not obtain a driver's license in any state, province, or nation, for the sake of innocent other drivers.

Related Questions

Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:

Asked: My florida drivers license was permently ...

My florida drivers license was permently revoked after receiving 4 dui's.The state of florida will not give me a clearance . I want to get a drivers license in another state or canada. What can i do ...

Asked: How much is it to renew your drivers license in Mi ...

www.michigan.org/ how much is it to renew your drivers license in Mi

Asked: Revoked Driver License

I went to DMV and they told me that my Driver License had been revoked. How do I go about getting it back?

Ask a Question... We'll forward it to people who know

More Questions

If you live in two states can you hold two driver's license NV and CA

One CDL is all you get, and one operator license. If your state issues one, that's it.

My driver's license MAY be suspended, how do I find out?

You can go to the motor vehicle department. If you think it is, you should have gotten something from them or a court order. You need to go there and check.They wont tell you over the phone.

Florida Drivers License Lifetime Suspension

I am also a victim of the terrible reality that I am under a LIFETIME SUSPENSION of my drivers license in FL. I did not have a blood alcohol level on 2 of my DUI's and no street drugs. I was under a treatment plan for anxiety and PTSD after being brutally attacked the year before. I was actually in ...

I lost my driver license and i don't have de ...

I would advise you to report it to your nearest DMV, if your license does not have your ssn, the dmv will not give you a new dl with the dl number that was lost, this is a good way to use your dl as identity theft. Your dmv will reissue you a new dl with a new number. Good luck