Do the divorce courts favor mothers in case of child custody?

Do the divorce courts favor mothers in case of child custody?

Liked this question? Tell your friends about it

2 Answers

Order by
Oldest to Newest
Newest to Oldest

Hi Cordell - 

The answer to your question  depends on where you reside.  In California, the Family Law Court believes that children need to have continuing contact with both parents, and grants joint custody to the parents.  That said, it is often the mother who does the major parenting of children.  Learning to co-parent, which is more like a business relationship than a love match, takes effort.  And joint custody doesn't always mean a 50/50 time share.  But studies show that children of divorce do better  when they can move easily between mom's house and dad's house, and when parents can solve their differences without putting the kids in the middle.

<a href="" rel="nofollow" cl="" class="comlink"></a>

Historically, family courts typically awarded child custody for mother rather than fathers because of a stereotype that women are better suited to caring for children than men. If the child is an infant, the courts may still favor the mother for the sake of breastfeeding and the mother-child bonding that is important to the child's emotional well being. Beyond this, the courts are required to ignore the gender of parents and instead focus on criteria directly linked to the child's best interest. Drug use and abuse, work history, mental illness history, and even each parent's credit score may be taken into account to make sure the child has access to resources that will enable him or her to live the best life possible.

Related Questions

Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:

Asked: Divorce/ I Think My Spouse Is Hiding Assets – How ...

divorce/ I Think My Spouse Is Hiding Assets – How Do I Find Them?

Asked: Debra Crawford Annis represented me as my ...

Debra Crawford Annis represented me as my divorce lawyerl she then in return married my ex husband and has kept me in court. She has used every loophole and every sleazy tactic to keep my divorce ...

Asked: What happens if you receive your final divorce ...

what happens if you receive your final divorce papers and one attorney didnt sign them

Ask a Question... We'll forward it to people who know

More Questions

How do we know who is a good divorce lawyer? Do we ...

Hi........ I know a person that will help you in such situation you must go to family law layers and for more details please visit:

I pay for child support for a 19 year old who just got married and still

It depends on your state. In many states you are only required to pay support up to age 18 or 19. In some states it can go to 21. I think that if the child marries, they are taken to be an adult, but it may depend on your state law or the terms of a divorce. Illinois says a child is emancipated ...

Child Custody Forms

Tammy; you may as well pour your saving's each year into the place you have placed your (or have had ) child's name into a case file. According to the nasty whim's of each lawyer, each clerk, and each judge.. your case will do the steelie-shuffle in the pinball machine that is the american ...

Custody Case after deat

Providing the mother can care for them they would be awarded to her if she was the same person who gave birth to them. That is after a complete background check by DCF to satisfy the courts. But till then they will be placed in a foster care home then after DCF and the courts review the case and the ...