Dept of education taking my tax refund. what can i do to get my return?

for years now the dept of education has been intercepting my tax refund, how do i get this to stop?  I know I have paid at least half of it and with the interest each year it seems to never decrease in amount.

Liked this question? Tell your friends about it


Dear "Cheryl",

The best way to get them to stop intercepting your tax refund is to call the department of eduction--or the division through which you have student loans (Direct Loans? Sallie May?) and talk to them. Work out a payment plan, and an agreement that they will not take you tax refund again.

Talking really does make a difference when it comes to lenders. The good news for you, also, is that the federal government are good people to deal with--much more reasonable than the private loan companies. Your federal loans are guaranteed by the federal government, to be paid, even if it is not Direct Loans you are dealing with. Therefore, the loan granters are much more willing to work something out that will work for you (they know they will be paid whether you pay or not).

 Again, the take home point is communication. Good intentions and an agreed upon repayment plan will make your life much easier. Hope this helps!

Anthony Centore Ph.D. Online Counseling, Telephone Counseling, Counseling in Boston and Cambridge, MA. 


<a href="" rel="nofollow" cl="" class="comlink">Thrive Boston Counseling and Life Coaching</a>

Related Questions

Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:

Asked: Best workout for weight loss

Which you think is the best workout/exercise for weight loss.

Asked: Who is the best weight loss doctor new jersey?

Who is the best weight loss doctor new jersey ?

Asked: How to Choose a weight loss diet clinic nj?

How to Choose a weight loss diet clinic nj ?

Ask a Question... We'll forward it to people who know

More Questions

Stop I would like to get a ...

What are we supposed to do with this information?

Is it worth you returning tires back to a warehouse seller if you can't

Only a leftist would be stupid enough to try to sell scrap tires. You PAY to get rid of them at a rubber recycler. You pay less if they are clean. Where does AOL Answers get these leftist morons, anyway?

Where does catch up 401k contributions appear on a tax return

They don't. They appear on your W-2 in box 12. You will note that the amount in box 1 is less than box 5. The amount in box 1 is calculated by subtracting your contributions from your gross wages in box 5. You do not pay income tax on your 401k contributions, nor do you subtract them on line 32 ...