Originated From

Can my employer ask to see my social security card for payroll purposes upon hire?

Liked this question? Tell your friends about it

7 Answers

Order by
Oldest to Newest
Newest to Oldest

Not only can, but some have to.  Usually they photocopy it and stick it in your file.

If it's not fun, you're doing it wrong. FREE !!! Help the U.N. feed people by playing a free game at freerice.com It's free, fun and educational. Professor Snotsengabber, a charter member of S.N.O.T.S.

By law now in the U.S. you have to show the SS card when filling out the I9 for employment. Many companies now will verify that you are legally eligible for employment prior to hiring you.

The journey to an improved lifestyle begins with the first step. <a href="" rel="nofollow" cl="http://www.confident-lifestyle.com" class="comlink">Confident Lifestyle free confidence training ebook and articles</a> <a href="" rel="nofollow" cl="http://www.tiptopwaiter.com" class="comlink">Tiptop Waiter helping waitstaff increase their tip income </a>

Of course. His records need to be accurate for tax purposes, deductions, etc.

Yes. They can ask for proof of your social security number, which is what the card provides. Also, the employer has a legal obligation to require you to submit documents verifying your immigration status. The social security card is one document you can use for this.

Do you have a question on your personal taxes or small business taxes? Post your question or you can also read my articles on <a href="" rel="nofollow" cl="http://www.walletpop.com/blog/bloggers/tracy-coenen/" class="comlink">Walletpop.com</a>

According to the current I9 the employer must ask to see documents verifying your eligibilty. However, the employer CANNOT specify which documents they will accept. You can show a driver license and birth certificate if you choose not to show the SS card. Please read the I9 form for further details.

SS Number is required - Just Number

<a href="" rel="nofollow" cl="http://www.canont1i.net/" class="comlink">canon t1i</a>

In WA state they can only ask if they are asking you to sign up for E-Verify. E-Verify is a system that employer's can use to make sure they are not accepting fraudulent employment documents. If you look at the back of the I-9 form, there are other documents that prove you are eligible to work in the United States that employers are required to accept and can not request which document they will take and which they won't....... However, if you don't want to provide them with the number, then you gotta pay your own taxes because they would have no way of paying your Social Security or Federal taxes...... So, what's the battle really worth to ya?

Related Questions

Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:

Asked: Do veterans living on Social Security and a small ...

Do veterans living on Social Security and a small annuity and under VA care have to file income tax?

Asked: Can i pay my bills using red numbers on back of my ...

can i pay my bills using red numbers on back of my social security card

Asked: Social security director

how to contact Evelyn Jordan

Ask a Question... We'll forward it to people who know

More Questions

Social security disability is approved.. Now been waiting over a month

Be patient! Your lawyer said 30-45 days and I think he was being optimistic given that you were approved just in the midst of holidays. Your lump sum will be based upon your personal contributions (or your parents) and no one can estimate that. Without knowing how much, there is no way to know if ...

Social security cards

tonia, you will need to take birth certificates to your local social security office....yolanda why are you so MEAN to other people???

Security Certificate?

Now we're all getting that the security certificate is not up to date (it expired in 2012). Internet Explorer warns you but will let you choose to continue. Firefox won't let you continue.

How do you get off of Social Security benefits?

If you are on Disability benefits and you want to work, there are work incentives that let you continue receiving benefits for some time. Call Social Security and let them know when you start work, and let them know if you stop work or change your hours.