Originated From
AOL Search

Building permit

I want to build a 12'x14'storage and hobby work shop beside may home. I live within the city limits am I reqired to have a building permit?

Liked this question? Tell your friends about it

4 Answers

Order by
Oldest to Newest
Newest to Oldest

It depends on your municipality.  Most will require a permit (by law) for even a smalldeck or garden shed.  Check with your local building department.

Jim, Yes you are required to have a building permit for any additional structures within the city limits.  You can hand draft a scale drawing of the proposed new structure on your plot plan and submit it to the city and you should be fine.  Most municipalities charge nominal fees for these permits. 

<a href="" rel="nofollow" cl="http://www.greencoastconstruction.net/" class="comlink">http://www.greencoastconstruction.net/</a>

The short answer is yes.


It varies form municipality to municipality, but in general any structure particularly one over 100 square feet will require a building permit.


Check with your local code enforcement department and get all the details for your area.

Good luck with your project.

G. Borders

Plano Home repair, Improvement, & Handyman services


You can take permission from your local authority. Usually the real estate department of the municipality can give the permission for this.


Related Questions

Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:

Asked: Why would they build my house with collections on ...

why would they build my house with collections on my report

Asked: Building on san antonio rd palo alto with security ...

building on san antonio rd palo alto with security guard entrance

Asked: When building a house should the upstairs ...

when building a house should the upstairs dormers be centered over the downstairs window(s) or should they be centered in the middle of the upstairs and be off center to the downstairs windows?

More Questions

Building a duplex garage?

A duplex can be thought of as two homes built right next to each other and sometimes sharing the same wall. A duplex is normally labeled "Side A" and "Side B". Side A is often on the right side of the duplex and side B the other, but there is no strict rule for labeling. T. Sutcliffe & Co Ltd.

Who can I get in touch about making a wall vent and fan for a restaurant

If you live in a major city, you should have a historical society that can tell you if your house or bldg is restricted in any way as to alterations and if they can be done, who is licensed to do it to maintain the integrity of the bldg and its design

Renewal of concealed carry permit

It might be an issue concerning Identity Theft. It might be one of the harder items to obtain and falsify. If you lost your wallet, and they decided to take a few steps to " become you" They would get a license with their picture and your info and social etc. Which would allow them to purchase ...