Originated From
AOL Search

What to do for accidental ingestion of rubbing alcohol?

Liked this question? Tell your friends about it

2 Answers

Order by
Oldest to Newest
Newest to Oldest
Votes

It depends on how much you ingested. A little shouldn't hurt but could make you sick for awhile.. more than a cup you should go to the emergency room and get a clean slate (or have it pumped out).. Rubbing alcohol is basically akin to clear liquor but it's got some ingredients that could harm some people. A check-up would be wise.

What was the question...?

askmann is correct inasmuch as you should seek medical attention for ingestion of anything over a cup in the adult.

 

While ethanol undergoes metabolic breakdown to form acetaldehyde as an intermediate, isopropanol, because of the extra methyl group on the -OH bearing carbon, is broken down into acetone, which is quite toxic. No one I know of willingly drinks fingernail polish remover.

 

Here is a site with TMI- http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/chemical/pim290.htm

Gratitude as a discipline involves a conscious choice.....* Victims of circumstance owe it to fate. Victims of choice owe it to themselves.*One of the widest gaps in human experience is the gap between what we say we want to be and our willingness to discipline ourselves to get there.

Related Questions

Other people asked questions on similar topics, check out the answers they received:

Asked: How does one become a contestant on Food Court ...

how does one become a contestant on Food Court Wars?

Asked: Are drugs in prison food and/or drinks?

Are drugs in prison food and/or drinks?

Asked: Food

What pregnant woman has to drink during pregnancy?

More Questions

How does alcohol effect a diabetic?

If you're diabetic and is taking insulin or other meds, binge drinking is not a healthy way to keep your well-being. Alcohol in your bloodstream means steeping up the duties of your liver, which often result to low blood sugar levels. Being sober, is in fact recommended by the American Diabetes ...

Can you help me in clearing a doubt about alcohol abuse?

Alcohol abuse is sometimes referred to by the less specific term alcoholism.According to research done through international surveys, the heaviest drinkers happen to be the United Kingdom's adolescent generation. Aftercare Sober Solutions

Can you ingest peroxide

Do NOT ingest peroxide. Even a 3% solution is a strong bleaching agent. There is no known medical use for ingesting it. Don't believe that it is useful for curing cancer. Here's what one web site says: These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Products are ...

Alcoholic Analgesic

Alcohol has been used for its analgesic properties for thousands of years. It was only about one hundred years ago that aspirin became available without a prescription. However, I know of no current attempts to harness the value of alcohol for analgesic purposes in the way you suggest.